Sunday, August 3, 2008

MITRED PARAKEET






I must say, when I woke up this morning and saw one of these birds outside of my window, I just thought that someone had let one of their birds out of its cage. Then once I moved closer to my window, I was quite surprised to see a flock of birds all munching on a part of the tree.


Very beautiful all together, and they move together too. Someone made a noise and they all flew away at once and met on another tree just a few buildings away. To me birds are just birds, but I must say this was a sight to see. And so of course my camera is not far so I had to take some shots and share.




Fairly large green parakeet with red forehead grading into scattered bright red feathers on crown, face, cheek, sometimes on the bend in the wing. Dull green underparts are faintly washed olive. Hooked bill is dull yellow. Legs and feet are gray. Feeds on fruits, berries and nuts.

Range and Habitat

In its native range occurs in mountain valleys in a narrow band from southern Peru to northern Argentina. Populations of escaped birds also established in Los Angeles, California, and south Florida. Prefers dry subtropical forest, but also uses cultivated areas and grasslands with scattered trees. Frequently found near rocky cliffs.

3 comments:

δεσποιναριον said...

Very beautiful papagalaki!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

SEO
very handy, thanx a lot for this blog .. This was exactly what I was looking for.